Saturday 27 November 2010

Von's Frugal Year: Months The Tenth and Eleventh

Whoops.

I don't know what happened there.  I fell off the wagon a little bit over the last few weeks; in fact, I've fallen off several wagons, and you may take your pick as to which one I'm most embarrassed about.  There's the 'updating the blogs, ever' wagon, the 'take photos of stuff you've Been Painting so you can infect the Internet with those instead of writing real content' wagon and the 'you're supposed to be spending less as well as gaming more' wagon.

A review, then, of sorts:

I bought a Skorne starter box back in October.  It was not a particularly considered decision - well, it was and it wasn't.  It was, in that I'd been agonising over which Hordes faction I wanted to play for ages, and it wasn't, in that I bought them at the end of a tournament that I hadn't done too well in and which left me in bad need of a change of pace.

The Skorne bug has bitten me hard: I've played a lot of games over at Dice and Decks in Ross-on-Wye (lovely little club, very friendly people, and we've got them playing Warmachine now, he he!), and I even won a little battlebox tournament a couple of weeks ago.  I'm trying to pace the Skorne expansion so I don't end up with more stuff than I have the money to buy or the time to paint, and so far it's working.

I have been rather less satisfied with the Tyranid project, which I bought into when I started running a school club and have yet to play an actual, proper game with.  Perhaps I should have waited for a week to see how much stuff the kids were bringing in and how much time we had to play before I bought a thousand point army.  Perhaps I should also have considered how many mould lines I'd have to clean in between the fun parts of doing a new, mostly plastic army.

The point is that I've dropped £150 on new models in the last eight weeks, and that's a bit out of sync with this Mission that I'm supposed to be on.  I'm also having slight storage trouble with the new models - everything fits in the display cabinet just fine, but if I move house again, we'll have an... interesting time of it.

By the way, I'll probably be moving house again quite soon.

It might be time to declare a purchasing freeze and think about liquidating some assets, if you'll permit me to drop into Kennedy-esque business-speak for a moment.  In the meantime, I have some Tyranids to file the mould lines off...

2 comments:

LoneIslander said...

We all need a break once in a while

Dave said...

Mould lines are the bane of my life! I had a tough time of it filing them off all my Space Hulk 'stealers, let alone 1000 points worth...

I'm currently filing down snotlings. Fiddly and small, a winning combination.